Visiting Us

RM of Oakland History
1869 marked the transfer of lands, later known as the provinces of Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta, from the Hudson’s Bay Company to the Government of Canada. In the 1870's surveyors appeared to survey the land into townships and each township was divided into sections. Townships 7 and 8 in the ranges of 17, 18 and 19 became the Rural Municipality of Oakland on January 2, 1883 and was name so because of the prevalence of oak trees.

The first slate of officers included Mr. Hector (Reeve), W.S. Moody (Secretary-Treasurer) and councillors James Elliot, James Brander, William Stinson, George Stewart, S. Rounthwaite, and H.E. Graham.