Tax & Assessment


Provincial Legislation requires that the municipality bill and collect taxes on behalf of the Province and local School Division #40 & #43 for education purposes, as well as municipal taxes in order to provide essential services to the Municipality.
Taxes are calculated from January – December, with the due date being October 31st of each year.

Methods of Payment

In Person: Payments of cash or cheque may be made at either Municipal Office. Please note we do not accept payments by credit card or debit card.

Mail: Send a cheque or money order payable to the Municipality of Oakland-Wawanesa along with the bottom detachable portion of your tax bill. The envelope must be postmarked by Canada Post on or before October 31, to avoid penalty.

Mail to: Municipality of Oakland-Wawanesa, Box 28, Nesbitt, Manitoba R0K 1P0

Post-Dated Cheques: Post-dated cheques dated for the due date or earlier are acceptable.
On-Line - Most financial Institutions now have the Municipality of Oakland-Wawanesa available for on-line payments. Please contact your bank to see if this option is available to you. 
Account numbers are listed on the top of your utility bill, and for taxes please use your 6 digit Property Roll Number.
Please Note: Roll Numbers have changed for the Village of Wawanesa due to the amalgamation.


The Municipality of Oakland-Wawanesa does not offer any discounts for pre-payment of taxes. Penalties on amounts left outstanding after October 31st are calculated at 1.25% per month.

For other questions regarding your property taxes, please contact the Municipal Office at (204) 824-2666, Fax (204) 824-2374, or by writing to the following address:

Municipality of Oakland-Wawanesa
Box 28, Nesbitt, Manitoba
R0K 1P0

Education Property Tax Credit

If you are a Manitoba resident who pays more than $250 in taxes in a year on the property you reside on, you are entitled to a Manitoba Education Property Tax Credit (EPTC). The credit for 2018 is $700. There are three ways to claim the EPTC if you are entitled to receive it.

  1. Automatically: The vast majority of homeowners automatically receive the basic credit as a reduction on their municipal property tax bills.
  2. By application: In a few cases, home owners may not receive the EPTC Advance automatically. This may be the case if you have only recently moved into your house. If the EPTC Advance is not on your property tax bill, and you have lived in the residence since at least January 1 of the current year, you can submit an application until November 15 for the reduction prior to the time when the property taxes are due. Upon approval of your application, you will be able to pay your current property taxes minus the EPTC Advance. After November 15, you may claim your credit on your income tax return. 
  3. On your income tax return: The EPTC can be claimed on the Manitoba portion of you income tax return. This is the only way for tenants to receive the credit. Homeowners may also use this method if they did not receive the credit through methods 1 or 2. This is also the method for claiming additional income-tested amounts if your income is below the defined level, or you are over age 65.

Farmland School Tax Rebate

The Manitoba government is offering a rebate of up to 80% of the school taxes levied on your farmland for 2016.
The Farmland School Tax Rebate reduces the net school taxes paid on your farmland. Your application for the 2018 tax year must be received by MASC by March 31, 2018.

If you are a Manitoba resident who owns farmland in Manitoba and you paid your 2018 property taxes, you may be eligible for the rebate. The rebate applies only to the school taxes assessed on your farmland and does not apply to residences or buildings.

If you received a rebate for 2017, a 2018 application form was mailed to you. You can also download an application form from or pick one up from your local Manitoba Agricultural Services Corporation (MASC) office, Manitoba Agriculture office or municipal office.

For more information:
phone: 204-726-7068.

Seniors’ School Tax Rebate

If you’re 65 or older and own your home, Manitoba’s new Seniors’ School Tax Rebate could mean savings for you.

This year, seniors who own their home can apply for a Rebate of up to $470. These savings are on top of up to $1,100 in Education Property Tax Credits already in place.

You can apply for the Rebate as soon as you receive your property tax bill.

Address Changes

It is important that our office be notified as soon as possible whenever there is a change of address to ensure that the tax statements are properly forwarded to the property owner. Failure to receive a tax statement does not excuse an owner from not paying the tax account by the due date or associated penalties.

Appealing Your Assessment

In Manitoba, property is assessed at market value in accordance with The Municipal Assessment Act. Market value is the most probable selling price of the property had it been sold by a willing buyer to a willing seller. Regular reassessments ensure that property assessments keep pace with real estate market conditions, and taxes are distributed fairly to property owners

Property owners who disagree with the assessment of their property should contact the Assessment Branch to discuss their concerns with an assessor. If the property owner and the assessor are unable to agree on the value of the assessment the property owner has the right to appeal the assessment to the Board of Revision. The Board of Revision is composed of the Municipality of Oakland-Wawanesa Council. The Board sits annually, usually in October of each year to hear appeals. Applications for appeals can be filed at anytime but must be filed with the Municipality of Oakland-Wawanesa at least 15 days prior to the sitting of the Board. Contact the municipal office for this year’s date.

Assessment figures are public information and available for viewing at the municipal office or you can also search property assessments online, on the Province of Manitoba website. Although assessment figures are available, tax amounts are not public information and only given out to the landowner, unless a tax certificate is requested which has a fee of $25.00/property.

Provincial Municipal Assessment Branch 340-9th St Brandon, MB Phone: (204) 726-6001

Inquiries – Questions regarding your assessment should be directed to the Provincial Municipal Assessment Branch at 340 – 9th Street, Brandon, Manitoba R7A 6C2 or call 204-726-60001.